Thursday, September 10, 2009

Emma Ramshaw is Run off the Road - Letter dated January 28, 2009

Firstly, I'd like to say how much I support your cause. Lucas Valley Road has so many possibilities for pedestrians and cyclists to explore, and yet I know there is a genuine feeling of reluctance for any of our community to make the most of it, due to the heavy, fast moving traffic. If I could just clarify one point - I wasn't actually hit by a car whilst on my bike (I think at the speeds most cars drive at on that road, I wouldn't be here to tell the tale!), but I was run off the road by a car that drifted into the bike lane. I was lucky enough to have been missed by only a foot or so, and if I hadn't taken the action of hitting the grass, I definitely would have been severely injured.
It has really made me very reluctant to get back on my bike ANYWHERE in Marinwood, but I can safely say that I won't be riding my bike down to the YMCA any more. It makes me very angry that I have to let my membership of the YMCA lapse as I don't always have the time to walk there and back -  since it is at least 3 miles each way for me. I know of several people who were interested in cycling to the YMCA but have been put off by negotiating Lucas Valley Road. What a shame that such a great gym that promotes healthy and active living cannot be safely reached by anyone not in a car. I choose not to drive and have no access to a car, and so this limits me greatly.
I hope that this petition helps to make people more aware of the dangers posed to pedestrians and cyclists in our neighborhood. It would be interesting to see if the YMCA would be interested in making access to their gym safer for the people who use it.
If you need any more information, please let me know. Email is best as my working hours are pretty random!
Best wishes
Emma Ramshaw